Sunday 1 March 2009

My 2 wheels journey down South...

When: 18/2/2009 - 22/2/2009 (5 days)
The Journey: from KL Puchong - Singapore F1 Pit Building @ Marina Square
The Team: 17 cyclists mainly from OCBC MY, 3 marshal cars + 1 medic car
The Purpose: to raise fund for 2 charity organization - The Children Autism Society & Home of Peace
The achievement: RM40,000+ raised

Day 1 - 18/2/2009 (KL - Port Dickson 82km)

All the cyclist to meet at OCBC Puchong branch for a flag off event.
Captain Danny distributed each a Power Bar and 2 Power Gel. First time i get the chance to taste this horrible bar....euhh...i've forced myself to eat 1/3. If i were to know the effect of this horrible taste bar....i'm sure i will die die swallow the whole bar....coz i never expect first day will be such tough...come on, its only 80km which is just 2x the distance i ride during my training days...

Out of Puchong passing Cyberjaya hitting Sepang was not easy, heavy and fast tracffic, long stretch of uphill winding roads....ouch...less than an hour, i'm at the trail of the group already eventhough we get to start first! The sweeper followed closely at my back, watching me closely....the first pit stop was at Sepang...not only trying hard playing catch up with the guys, also trying hard to fight the hot morning sun...gulping for water but yet there's nothing for me to pee...was wondering where the heck all my drinks went?? its must be my sweat....for long, i've not been sweating so much....there's a question crossed my mind - what's going to happen to me in the afternoon ride? now is already so hot and its just the start u're already trying hard to catch up! Well, before i could think further, there we went for the 2nd half session. The sun wasburning hot...i was riding crawlingly slow + all the uphill climbing....i can feel that the sweeper car almost need to park at the road side to wait for me....arghhh....my head start spinning de...i was counting time when i'm going to jump into the sweeper car....just when i'm really wanted to make that call...i saw flemming! he was giving signal to pull over signifying thats our 2nd pit stop for lunch.....pheww...that was really a life saver stop for me....have some good rest, lotsa drinks...and having been told that there's just another 10km to go to wrap up the first day was indeed a huge booster....thats where i regain my confident that i could possibily narrowly make it. God bless me + a lot of determination & endurance...i've made it to Port Dickson. Not a long day, but it was a long 82km for me! No worries, at least i'm safe for the first day...what about tomorrow? dont bother...let's trash it out by then....

The first pit stop for the first day @ Ladang Sepang

Caught running nose on the first night...i think i've 'smoked' too much of exhaust fumes & dust. wanted to sleep early but i think i just able to catch 4 hours of sleep the most. The room was cold and i can hear the matress spring whenever i flip flop....haihzzz.....


Day 2 - 19/2/2009 (PD - Muar 132km)
Thats the longest day. I've forced myself to finish the left over Power Bar from yesterday's ride...started to get used to the sucky taste & texture. We need to reach Melaka by noon. If i recall correctly, it was quite an easy one as the roads were mostly flat. But, the wind is not helping us and in deed slowed us down. Since i'm always at the trail, there's no way i can get a 'personalise wind braker'....so no choice need to cycle hard lo...I think Steven McGyver was there to push & encourage me...I must mention this - i eat less than my normal day eventhough i went through intensive workout. Lunch? Unfinished Power bar again with 2 eggs....and along the way with Power Gel...thats it...it lasted me to Muar! Of coz, besides the bar, there's also motivation from Steven McGyver...he kept telling me that Muar Asam Fish is nice....haha...
Medic car on stand by...coz i've alerted them that i might get cramp any time...
2nd half ride was on high way...no shade, sunny all the way....Both Thomas & Amir was down with leg cramps....i thought i can feel my left leg being the same also....so i smartly use more of my right leg to paddle....and luckily it lasted me till Muar! I've made it again! I am another step closer to S'pore....we visited The Children Autism of Muar...the kids look normal and in fact most of them are quite pretty. Mostly boys rather than girls...i hope these kids can get well soon and live a life like any other normal kids....they are lovely and certainly deserve it!

The night at Muar....again i couldnt get a good sleep....maybe just 3 hours....haih....what's wrong with me? I'm worried de....coz tomorrow there's another 120km waiting tomorrow....God~~

Day 3 - 20/2/2009 (Muar - Pontian 120km)
Though its not the final leg, but i would call it the final day as after this we are just required to cycle 30km & 20km on the 4th & 5th day respectively. 130km didnt turned me down, what is 30km? piece of cake right? But but...i will need to make sure i done this 120km b4 i can get the taste of the 'cake'...hehe. Today's morning there will be few 'Everest' climb....that made me worried....by noon, we need to reach Batu Pahat....

The few 'Everest' climb was scary...its steep and long stretch...really will squeeze your lungs out of it....to me, it had been considerably so much easier....Why? Steven Mcgyver was there with me, giving me tips how to make my gears more efficient and how to struggle less when doing the hills...i must thank him for this...its was in deed a great help. I'm seriously glad i've made it to Batu Pahat....the final leg b4 reaching Pontian, captain Danny made me lead the team...for once, there's cyclist behind me...haha...not feeling fun though but in deed stressed me up...and the stress power converted to paddling power....i was cycling even faster than b4 and ever....hrmm...looks like i'm that kind of person that needs to be push and forced...then only i can excel or deliver :P
See...leading the pack...stress orh...

Once we reached Pontian....my shoulder were light...i'm done...i want a good night sleep tonight but again!!! i practically stayed awake the whole night!! i was wondering, what the heck is wrong with me?? i didnt drink tea of coffee...how come cannot sleep at all?? only when the next morning, i got to know that Power Bar and Power Gel are all caffein base food...ohh....no wonder...there explained my sleepless night...i think Pontian night was the max caffein accumulated in my body...

Day 4 - 21/2/2009 (Pontian into S'pore via 2nd Link 33km)
This was the most fun filled day....i pushed myself a lot (not that Steven is with me, but i decided to push myself). Reason being today is just a short ride...just push all the way and play with the boys....

This is a great day. When we reach S'pore, we were ushered by the event safety car into the F1 Pit Building. There were medias, our S'pore colleagues and event organiser VIPs welcoming us! Again, i need to mention this as a priceless moment...we were given flowers, we were invited on stage etc....like hero like that...though its not the case la :P. i'm going to remember this day...and i've told myself i will do this again!

Day 5 - 22/2/2009 (OCBC Cycle Singapore 20km Community Ride)
It was a slow and relax day. I just cruising there, enjoying s'pore skyscrappers, pretty landscape..and at the same time also busy depressing there....coz after this, it will mark an end to what i've been doing for the past few days...i dunno when i will get the chance to cycle such long distance again with my fellow comrades...i felt even more depress when i thought about the issues & problems waiting for me in the office.....was thinking there, how good if i can cycle for living?
Group picture b4 we were being ushered by the safety car to F1 Pit Building
Our team - welcomed by Media & Singapore colleagues

In summary:-
What i got:- new friendship, slightly handicapped fingers, uneven skin tone, pimples, the biggest bouquet of flower i've gotten so far AND an unforgetable experience & memory
what i learnt:- extracting the reflector, you must have Power Bar
what i realised:- impossible is nothing, the importance of strong mind, determination & endurance
what i discovered:- a new hobby to toxin myself out

I certainly like Power Gel... :P

No comments: