Thursday 15 May 2008

The city of Big Ben - London (27 - 30 April 2008)

Someone complained that I should have blog something more interesting of my Europe trip i.e. one night stand, missed train and etc etc instead of cost wo…. So…we start up with the beautiful and expensive city of London!

London is extremely busy and English people are kinda ‘cold’ in general…not sure whether this is because of London’s cold & gloomy weather. Nevertheless, I still like this city a lot! We spent 3 nights at London, 2 nights at West Ham as we bunk in my cousin’s frens’ flat which turned up that both also my lost contact high school mates! What a surprise and what a small world! Its good that we can spend some time chatting and catching up on updates :)

YD & me - sunset @ Trafalgar Square. She is married and now stays at London with her hubby. So happy and lovely there :)

Suk-yi & me. She settled down at London currently. She is getting married real soon. Congrats :)

Practically we only have 2 full days at London. 1st day we joined a day trip to the famous Windsor Castle, Bath & the so called most over rated attraction – Stonehenge.

Windsor Castle is the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world and still an official royal residence of England. It might not be as huge and as grand as Versailles in Paris but nonetheless I still managed to capture its charm while wandering there.

The tour was kinda tight as we need to cover 3 places in 1 day…so after 2 hours like that we were set and heading to Roman city of Bath, a city in Somerset. Bath is famous for its hot springs…if I listened correctly to the tour guide; Bath is the only place in England which has hot springs. I like Romans buildings and architecture, it’s so characteristic! So...we visited the Roman Bath museum, snap some nice pictures, tried the ‘fully mineral-ed’ spring water in the Pump Room. The other highlight of the trip is that I was so amazed with the cottage/village view along the way at the road side. It’s just so so scenic and nice…I think I fell in love with the country side of England. Life would be great if I can spend some years living there….

Next is Stonehenge, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Most said Stonehenge is over rated as we only get to see some giant stones either stood straight or some collapsed on the ground. Hehe…of coz there’s story behind it and I couldn't’t care less also la…my focus was on the grassland instead! I love greenery! I was so excited and keep snapping pictures with different pose on the grass rather than admiring the stones… :P

Backed to London town, we catched up with YD for dinner and before that we went Trafalgar Square to snap some nice pictures. We have our dinner near Leicester Square. We dine at a famous cheap Japanese restaurant among locals and travelers – Misato (if I get it correctly). Generous serving, tasty and yummy…thumbs up!

One of the dish we ordered - pork fillet rice with eggs. Generous serving!

Btw, i cannot not mention the London Underground System a.k.a. Tube. If you look at the map...its like a huge spider web....and its not easy to digest at one glance...we almost boarded the wrong train few times...even we were almost sure we are at the right 'line'....but still not very sure whether that is the right train when it comes.... :P

The next morning was city walk...firstly we went Buckingham Palace to watch the guard changing ceremony...huge crowd. Then we did some garden walking...initially wanted to go St. James Park.....but ended up in Green Park without we realising...then we went China Town for a good lunch...after that went National Gallery, Leicester Square again, London Eye, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Tower of London....basically we explore half of London with our feet...wow...thats really hard core.....imagine there are 10 more days of walking in Eastern Europe....start peeing in our pants already...keke....

We slept really early that night, coz need to catch a bus to Luton airport at 4am...we 'check out' from West Ham and stayed at a hostel nearby Victoria. My housemate will also reach the same evening and meet us b4 flying to Budapest and continue with our Eastern Europe journey.

Took a lot of pictures....and i've done some filtering and uploaded some at Facebook. Check it out at http://profiles.friendster.com/21005858

To summarize, my rating towards London is 8/10! Like it!

2 comments:

FOX said...

Well, still no one night stand etc. but better...

So many memory about UK flushed to my brain. In fact, that Japanese restaurant was one of my favourite because their portion was huge!

Tube, complicated? You must be kidding, you should see Paris one. Last time, I can almost memorise all the stops along that damn Piccadily Line.

Most of my friends know that I don't like London. But for a minute after reading your blog, I miss the damn city.

App|EyEe^ said...

huh? i went Paris last yr...used their underground to move around also...but no problem at all wo..haha...dunno la...maybe its subject to individual. I now also can memorise all the stations along Kelana Jaya line after 6 months using it :P

You lived there for 4 yrs rite? I'm sure u will still miss the city eventhough u dun really like it...afterall, got 'kam ching' ma...hehe :P